Friday, May 14, 2010

Prayer Request

Tonight, my dog got out of the compound and bit a neighborhood kid. It wasn't a super bad bite. It was on her hand and his teeth only broke skin on one finger. But still. He bit a kid.

I knew the dog had gotten out. I was outside the compound with my nightguard, Cosmas, looking at the road to my house, which is now blocked (another story). I even saw Odie jumping around Bridgette and heard her screaming. But this is common because most Ugandans are terrified of dogs. I would have never dreamed he would bite her.

So, we called Odie and went home. Not five minutes later, Cosmas knocks on the door and Bridgette and her sister Joy were standing on the porch. Odie was barking and growling, Bridgette was crying, Joy was yelling that Odie had bitten her sister, and Cosmas was telling me to take the girls inside. I'm pretty sure I stood there open-mouthed staring at the scene for at least a few seconds before bringing the girls in.

Luckily, I had a few medical supplies at the house. I didn't have gloves though, so I handed Joy the supplies and instructed her on how to clean and cover the wound. Then I fed them cookies and chocolate while I sat there trying to figure out what to do. It was pouring down rain and dark, so I obviously wasn't going to the clinic by myself in spite of the girl's persistent asking.

Instead, I called Simon (ECM staff) and asked him what I should do. He assured me that it would be fine to wait until morning to do anything and promised to come over first thing to help me talk to the girls' grandmother. Cosmas talked to her as well and told me it would be fine if I just took her to the clinic in the morning.

However, there is a widely held belief here that it is entirely acceptable to take advantage of Westerners whenever possible. I am praying that this will not happen. And really, I believe that it won't. But still there's a little worry in the back of my mind. So please pray for that!

Simon and I will go talk to the grandmother in the morning and then I will take Bridgette to the clinic. Please also pray that things go well at the clinic - I've taken kids from the village by myself before, but obviously the circumstances are entirely different. Simon could normally go with me, but we have visitors in town who need to be taken to the village early.

Other than that incident, this week has been good.

I've been staying with friends most of this week because I don't like staying in the house by myself. It's been really nice and I'm so thankful for their hospitality!

Laura comes Tuesday morning and I can't wait! It's hard to believe that she'll be here. In Uganda. In just a few days. Crazy!

Thanks for your prayers!!

No comments: