Wednesday, March 17, 2010

On Books & Being a Vegetarian (Almost!)

Since this has been a bit of a slow week, I really don’t have all that much to report. Chrissy got diagnosed with malaria today but so far it is a mild case, thankfully. But still, please pray for her!

I’ve had quite a bit of time to read the past few weeks – all books I loved and feel like I benefitted from.

First, I read Spectacular Sins by John Piper. Whoa! It was sooo good. I would highly recommend it! It’s a short read, but very dense and challenging material.

Next was Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges. Once again, excellent. The material isn’t challenging, but personal application definitely is. This book was an instrument of great conviction for me in many areas!

Lastly, I finished Death by Love by Mark Driscoll. I started it a long time ago, but finally got around to finishing it. It’s an excellent resource; lots of research and Scripture are in every chapter.

To completely switch gears, food here has been a big adjustment for me. I’ve been forced to almost be a vegetarian…a definite challenge for me, as I usually eat meat multiple times a day! I actually crave meat here. I have meat about once a week and only at restaurants. It would be possible for me to eat chicken at home, but that would involve purchasing a live chicken and, well, I can’t even empty a mouse trap without freaking out. A chicken’s just probably not going to happen.

I eat lots of eggs, avocados, eggplant, pineapple, and other fresh fruits and veggies! The traditional food is not bad, but it’s not very flavorful either. I mostly prefer to prepare food at home, although there are several restaurants in town that I really enjoy (mainly for the ice cream, but it’s hot here!?).

The rest of this week will continue to be a bit slow. All of the local schools have a big athletics competition on Thursday, so they haven’t been having class all week. Instead they are preparing for the competition, so we are unable to carry on our normal programs with the kids. I’m ready to get back to the more normal schedule (I use the term “normal schedule” very loosely – in Uganda there really is no such thing) with the kids even though this week has helped me catch up on a lot!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Ashley,

I love reading your blogs. I pretty much check it everyday for an update-you are not only a gifted writer, but also a pretty incredible young lady.

Praying for you!
Becky

Amelia said...

Glad you've gotten to read some good books! And hot ice cream? How exactly does that work?!