Friday, March 19, 2010

Spring Break

It’s Spring Break season in the States and I can tell because there are TONS of American college students in Gulu. It’s almost overwhelming to me at times (In a good way, except they've been eating all the ice cream at Cafe Larem. Lame.)!

***

I’ve been to the market almost every day this week and I’m happy to say that I rarely get “mzungu prices” anymore. The reason? Because I know what things should cost, I will not buy from someone who’s trying to overcharge me, I know how to ask for the prices in Acholi (gives the false appearance that I know what I’m doing), and most importantly, I know the women I like to buy from so they don’t try to cheat me.

In reality, the mzungu prices really wouldn’t affect me that much. Everything’s still ridiculously cheap here. It’s the difference of one dollar at most (for produce), but it’s the principle of honesty that makes it matter to me.

***

Since apparently I really like to talk about food in my blog, I will tell you about the dinner Chrissy and I made two nights ago. It was homemade eggplant parmesan, without the parmesan. The best part was the spaghetti sauce made completely from scratch. I think it was the best meal I’ve had in Uganda. Seriously.

2 comments:

nattandmatt.blogspot.com said...

Awesome! So have you made Texas Cowboy Cookies for the children yet?? Or what about oreo milkshakes ;)

Love you!

Brooke said...

Ugh I'm so mad... why did you guys wait to make it until AFTER i was gone. We seriously should have had that dinner earlier! haha

Hope you're doing wonderful! Miss you girls!