Tuesday, March 23, 2010

No Power, No Water, No Fuel

That was the state of Gulu for most of today. Awesome.

But it’s improving.

Power is back for now, although it’s been off more than on the past three days.

The boys drove south to get fuel for the van and we’re told that trucks should arrive tonight bringing more. It’s rumored that some major price-gouging will occur, but I’m pretty OK with that. And it’s far better than the alternative. Apparently there have been times when fuel is completely gone for up to a month. I honestly can’t comprehend what that would be like. Although biking everywhere could be nice, I guess (if I had a bike, that is).

Water to the city is still gone, but our reserve tank can last over a week, so we’ll be fine in that regard. I am very thankful for that. Because I can barely lift a 20-liter jerry can, much less carry it on my head like the women in children here. And no, I have not attempted.

Life is interesting, that’s for sure.

No comments: