Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Letter "A"

Today was a great reminder of why I came to Africa.

I spent all afternoon working with a little boy named Okema, teaching him how to write the letter A. This kid had seriously never even held a pencil in his hand, and by the end of our time, he could write and identify "A"s and "B"s. I have never seen a kid so proud of his accomplishments. I took a picture with him holding his chalkboard, but it takes a long time to upload photos and we don't have power right now, so I'll share it later.

It's so encouraging to watch a child succeed, and when it comes to literacy, being able to read and write is so empowering!

We also met with the family of little Gloria, who is the one in the blue dress in the first picture that I posted. Their family has seven children; 3 biological and 4 orphans. They were a sweet family and one of the few people I've met so far that regard adopted children as the same as biological. That was super encouraging to me and I'm looking forward to furthering that relationship.

Gotta save battery power, but I'll post pictures of our writing lessons soon!

2 comments:

SDG said...

Hi Ash,

I am addicted to your blog! I can't wait to read your next entry! I am struck by life's ironies as Christ's words, "my yoke is easy and my burden is light" seem to float between the lines of the pages you have written. To feel joy in the midst of your "TIA's" screams affirmation and proclamation of God and His goodness in a profound way! Thanks for sharing, and know that you are infusing inspiration to so many through your efforts.
Love youuuu! ~Aunt Mary

Unknown said...

Ashley, I just love reading your blog and hearing all that God is doing through you in Gulu. Every time I read it I just want to be there so bad! I knew you would love Africa and especially the Acholi people and all of the children. They are so blessed to have you there. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Having been there, I can picture everything you are describing, plus you are a great writer!!!
Caroline