Thursday, February 4, 2010

Eating Ants

Today I most definitely ate an ant. A huge, fried, white ant. It was as you might expect an ant would taste – crunchy and pretty disgusting. Actually, if I’m completely honest, the taste really wasn’t bad. But I couldn’t mentally get past the fact that I was eating an ant and therefore it was quite nasty. The Ugandans really enjoyed them and apparently it is quite a delicacy here. Maybe I will try another one in a couple of months, after I’m a little more adjusted to eating strange things…

My day was once again teaching the alphabet. Today, I had four pupils: Okema, Moses, Gloria, and Walter. Little Okema is doing wonderfully. He can now identify and write A, B, and C in both Acholi and English. The accomplishments academically have made him behave a lot better as well. He can be quite naughty, but I have noticed improvements over the last two days. Moses is definitely going to struggle, but he too is improving. It’s so fun to see the kids proud of their achievements!

Chrissy and I are heading to Kampala in the morning. Her visa is expiring and I’m just excited for the opportunity to see the city. I was there for two days when I first arrived, but I was sick both of the days and did NOT enjoy my experience. I am confident this trip will be much better! We really have no plans other than going to the Ugandan immigration office and the US embassy and relaxing. Sounds like a plan to me!



Okema, showing off his achievements!



Working with Moses on the letter "A".



Our view as we walked back from Tegot after the car broke down. The sun setting over the African dirt roads really is gorgeous!



My littlest friend, Oscar. His sister is Gloria. They come visit me every day at the school, and this one LOVES to cuddle!

3 comments:

Amelia said...

great pictures! love the one of the sun setting. and you ate an ant - wow!!

HandsomeFrackle said...

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." <-- It is absolutely amazing to see pictures and read stories of this verse in action. You are really a blessing not only to the Ugandans, but also to me. I am praying for you! :) BTW, I had no idea you could write so well! Keep the updates coming.

Unknown said...

Your pictures and words bring tears to my eyes. You're always in my prayers. Love, Aunt Kathy