Tuesday, February 2, 2010

T.I.A.

T.I.A. or “This is Africa” is a phrase I have used many times in the last couple of weeks. It is three little letters that attempt to explain the various things that occur here that make absolutely no sense or seem utterly ridiculous (to Ugandans and Americans alike). Today was a T.I.A. day.

Our time at camp was great. It was the first day of school, so all the kids looked smart and clean in their new uniforms. It’s really a privilege to go to school here, so all of the children really look forward to the start! Their day ended early, so we fed them and then required all the sponsorship kids to come to our newly constructed library so we could explain the expectations for their studies.

One of the things I really like about ECM’s sponsorship program (if you’re interested in the program, check out the “Hope in Uganda” F@cebook group!) is that the kids are really held accountable to take care of their schooling. If they don’t, they will be dropped. Sounds harsh, but when there’s tons of other kids who want to go to school, the threat is enough to keep them in line!

After we met with the kids, our team was having a meeting when we hear Apio (the deaf girl who’s picture was posted yesterday) screaming outside and a bunch of other kids running away. Naturally, we’re suspicious. It turns out three kids were being mean to her. So, in a scene I only wish occurred more in the States, one of the Ugandan staff makes the three lay on the grass on their bellies. After a long lecture, he gets a long switch and smacks each of their butts twice. Let me assure you that he did not hit them hard at all. There wasn’t even a sound with the paddle. But the point was that their behavior was unacceptable and wouldn’t be tolerated. Plus, in a culture that runs off shame instead of guilt or punishment, the point was well taken. And I will add that Chrissy and I had to walk away because we were laughing. It’s moments like these that I really wish I spoke Acholi.

So, we finish our meeting and are leaving Tegot to head back to Gulu. We get probably 3 kilometers out of 20 when we blow a tire. Thankfully there was a boda-boda (motorcycle) going past which we stopped to help. Our spare had already blown and we haven’t had money to fix it, so it was clear that we were going to have to get this one repaired. After about 20 minutes of trying to level the dirt road to get the jack on solid ground, we (meaning the men there, I did nothing) finally get the tire off. Simon hops on the boda with the tire and heads off the Gulu to get it fixed. Almost two hours later he comes back with a newly repaired tire and we are once again on our way...

Only to get about 5 kilometers outside of town before blowing the same tire. At this point, we make the decision to send two of the guys to drive slowly back to town while the rest of us walk. The only problem with this was that I had new shoes on and my feet were killing me. I seriously have eight blisters. In hindsight, I should have just ridden with them, but that didn’t occur to anyone in the stress of the moment!

So, we shuffle shoes around and Christine, one of the Ugandan staff lets me wear her shoes. Only problem is I cannot walk in them. They looked like regular flip-flops, but they were definitely some African version that my American motor skills could not handle. I felt (and looked!) entirely ridiculous and we laughed almost the entire 5 kilometer walk back. While I wish I did not look like a fool, I treasure that time of fellowship with Chrissy (my roommate), Christine and Mary (another Ugandan staff). I have been praying that I would be able to connect with Christine and Mary as friends and not just co-workers, and this really gave us a great opportunity to bond. The ability to laugh at myself has come in useful more than once, even though it’s sometimes forced laughter! By the way, Chrissy tried them the last stretch home and couldn’t walk in them either, so it’s seriously a Ugandan talent to walk in these shoes!

And since that wasn’t enough for one day, there was a snake in our house when we got home. Not too big around, but still about two feet long. Sick. Luckily, Chrissy’s a much braver woman than I and she got it out! We found out later from our night guard that it was poisonous, so we are very thankful no one stepped on it.

Oh, and the power is out. Again. T.I.A., friends, T.I.A.

So, in closing, God is good. His presence is so clearly evident in the ministry here and I can see Him working in the lives of so many of the children and families I’ve been working with. I’m so thankful for that! The verse that I am continuously reminded of is “the people living in darkness have seen a great light.” There truly is a spiritual awakening occurring in Uganda and it’s so awesome to witness the freedom that the people are realizing in Christ. They have been free from the oppression of the LRA for almost two years now, but that is nothing compared to the freedom they are gaining in Christ.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

glad you are able to laugh at yourself! those sound like crazy flip-flops.