Friday, June 11, 2010

Portugal

The FIFA World Cup kicks off in South Africa on Friday. If you have ever lived or traveled in Africa, Europe, or South America, you will know that this is a big deal. Basically everywhere BUT the States is crazy about futbol (or soccer, if you prefer).

[For those of you who know nothing about futbol (of which I am one, except that I’m surrounded by it), this is the first time the World Cup has been in Africa and six African teams will be participating – South Africa, Algeria, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Ghana, and Cameroon.]

Naturally, I felt the need to purchase a jersey with the FIFA 2010 patch. I mean, this will probably be the only time I’ll be living in Africa at the same time the Cup’s in Africa.

So I go to a sport’s store in Gulu to make my purchase. I’m hoping for South Africa, but am pretty willing to accept any African team, with the exception of Nigeria (for you, Dad).

And of course my only selections are Portugal or Nigeria.

I opt for Portugal. Then I regret it on the way home. Portugal? Seriously?? I didn’t even know where Portugal was until I looked it up on my handy little World Cup map!

Nevertheless, as I’m watching the first match of the Cup between South Africa and Mexico, I’ll be proudly wearing my Portuguese colors. And hoping that no one realizes that Portugal plays the Ivory Coast on Tuesday…

No comments: