Friday, June 18, 2010

Churchplants, Children and our Summer Team

These last couple of weeks have been really awesome. On Sunday, we were able to go to the very first week of a new church plant. This was not on my bucket list, but it definitely should have been. It was so incredible, and I was blown away watching the Holy Spirit move on this first day. There were all sorts of very different people there. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a church with that much variety, but it was really great to tell people of all backgrounds that they are loved. We’ll keep visiting with and pursuing the people there and are praying that everyone will soon come to know Jesus personally.

It was held in a disco joint (they told us we could use the building any morning of the week), and I was so incredibly blessed to be there. While it wasn’t exactly conventional, it was great. The main people that helped to start the church plant were all really faithful and excited about what was going on and it was really neat to see the fruit of that (I was not one of the main people to have started this, but did get to see some of it unfold).

We’ve also been having wonderful times with our neighborhood friends. They are probably all under 10, and I’m starting to wonder how I would be able to love kids more, even if they were my own. One of the girls is deaf, but she always has so much to say. She’ll run up and give us a huge hug when we see her and then proceed to tell us, with her hands, stories from whenever the last time was that she saw us. A lot of times these stories are a bit lost in translation, but it is fun to talk to her. We’ve started praying for her often, she is so great. The other kids will a lot of times run up and start attaching themselves to our hands. We’ll sometimes find ourselves with three or four kids on each hand, which is great.

The summer team also arrived today. There are two women, one my age and another closer to my parents (a first grade school teacher) and they are both very sweet. They’ve only been here for a couple of days but are doing great and both seem like they will be really great to get to know over the next few days.

1 comment:

Kara Clayton said...

Just wanted to let you know I love reading y'all's posts! Y'all are in our prayers. Love you both!