Sunday, May 30, 2010

Not in America

It has been a while since my last post, I hope that everyone is doing well and have really enjoyed hearing from all of you! This will be my first post since arriving in Gulu, and I will be trying to condense many thoughts and stories.

First of all, the power has been out quite a bit lately. We also ran out of water for a while, and this has all combined to create some interesting experiences. Because of the lack of water, I took my first bucket shower. This is when you get a jerry can full of water, dump it into a bucket and then pour cups of water over you to bathe. It was quite cold, but I was really excited about it as it made me feel more Ugandan. : ) Ashley has also been sick while this has been happening. We are not sure what the sickness is, but we’re pretty confident that it’s not malaria, which we think is a good thing. A few people have been overly kind and helpful through this, namely the Forestor family, Jessica at CafĂ© Larem and our night guard, Cosmas. I could really go on about them for quite a while but will just say that I’ve been blown away by their kindness, concern and willingness to serve. We also had Simon, Pato and Lona drive around with us for literally hours going to clinics to see if we could pinpoint what is going on with Ash. We’ve narrowed it down to something bacterial, have medicine and are all praying for a quick recovery. They were great with helping us during that process! Also, Ashley is feeling a lot better today, so we are very thankful!

The neighborhood ministry is still so much fun. We are trying to teach a little deaf girl some simple words in American Sign Language, and I think she may be starting to understand at least two words (dog and later, we’re not totally sure why these two). The village is so great. This was only my third day to go out, and I learn new things every time. Today the kids apparently decided I should know their language and would speak to me in long Acholi sentences. My reaction would be to talk back in gibberish and they would just laugh. I also had around 20 kids gather in a circle with gaping mouths to watch a little girl play with my hair. My hair feels very different to them, and they are rather fascinated by it, which is funny to watch. They also played elbow tag for the first time, and they were so intense! They would, at times, actually tackle one another to be safe from the person chasing them, and the kids just laughed through a whole lot of the game, as did I.

Later in the day I had my first experience visiting a family. It was totally different! I sat on the floor of a mud hut, which is smeared with cow dung for a yet-to-be-discovered reason and was served chicken and cassava. Culturally, it is very rude to not finish your entire plate of food; this can be intense as the portions that they serve are most of the time probably around three times an American portion. Also, they eat literally everything off the chicken bone and then oftentimes break it and suck out the bone marrow.. through this process I prayed a lot, thought of my grandpa who always impresses me with how much he eats off of a chicken bone and wondered if they are still filming episodes of fear factor (I did not suck out the bone marrow, maybe next time). I really love that family though, and I was so happy that they invited us over. It is exciting to continually try new things as well, I am so glad to be here!

I have oftentimes experienced here that the evidence of the hope Jesus provides to people can be so obvious in people from all different backgrounds! This is amazing to see, and I am blown away by how cool it is that I can witness these things. Just hanging out with people, in many ways quite different from me, is intense and so much fun. I am excited to see what the future holds and know that God will provide everything we need, He is awesome!

1 comment:

John said...

Hey! Sounds like fun!

Praying for you.