Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Neighborhood Ministry

Ever since the dog bite incident, things in the neighborhood have been awesome. They weren’t bad before, but things have just taken off. I have gotten to know my neighbors more over the past two weeks than I have over the past four months. Even my relationship with Cosmas, the night guard, has gotten a lot stronger. I am SO excited about the opportunities to minister near my home as well as in the village.

Monday night, Laura and I played outside with all the neighborhood kids. We brought out the soccer ball and cones, but they were far more interested in holding out hands, trying to get us to chase and tickle them, and learning all the crazy dances and songs that we so very much enjoyed teaching them.

When we did the hokey pokey, at least five adults were watching us from their homes. I’m quite certain they think we’re crazy. The kids, however, ate it up.

We introduced the chicken dance as well. That was also a big hit. Until we came to the part where you link arms with someone and turn in a circle. Then all the boys ran away hysterically laughing.

My closest neighbor, Grace, is a really sweet elderly woman and speaks excellent English. We have had great conversations almost every day and on Friday she is taking Laura and me to the market to show us where to buy some scarves. Can’t wait!

Cosmas also invited us over to meet all of his children (already know his wife). That too is another door opened.

I am sooo excited to see God move in this community!

No comments: