Monday, May 10, 2010

Gaborone

I got back Saturday after almost a week in Gaborone (pronounced ha-bore-own-ee), Botswana with my Dad.

He was there for business, so I flew down and stayed with him in the fancy hotel while he worked then we got to spend the last two days together.

Botswana does NOT feel like the Africa I've come to know and love. There is a lot of wealth, consistent power, you can drink the water, and there are no shouts of "mzungu" - it was so strange to be anonymous! I was definitely in for quite a bit of culture shock, but I had a great time. Of course, it was awesome to get to see my Dad!

I saw TWO movies in theaters - Ironman 2 and Date Night. Ironman 2 was out before it was released in the States and it was totally awesome. Date Night had a couple of funny parts, but I wasn't a fan. I ate popcorn during the first movie; they didn't add butter or salt, but it still tasted SO good.

Everyone on the trip had brought family with them, so when Dad was working, I hung out with two of the wives and one of the sons (who randomly went to Tennessee his first two years of college). It was great to meet them and we got to do a lot of shopping and "American things."

I was freezing most of the time there. I am so used to the heat now that anything below 75 feels cold and the air conditioning is really cold! We went on a "nocturnal safari" one night. It was totally lame, as all of the animals were imported from other areas of Africa and we really didn't see much. Plus, I was once again freezing. The cool part was that we got to see billions of stars. This trip was my first time in the Southern Hemisphere and it was really neat seeing the different constellations.

And I ate steak every day. It was pretty awesome!

Here are some pictures from the week:



By the hotel pool.



At a fancy dinner the last night. We had steak, mashed potatoes, and grilled veggies. SO delicious!



Before our safari. They had a restaurant there that was really cool.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Glad you had a good visit with your dad! And steak!