Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Day in Pictures (and captions)



Ajok Winnifred. No lack of personality here – when her leg is completely better we’re fully expecting a girl version of Okema. I brought her to the clinic today for her second-to-last treatment. Afterwards, I gave her juice, a banana, and a lollipop. At one point, she was sitting in my lap with banana and lollipop in one hand and juice in the other, singing “Jesus Loves Me” complete with head-bobbing and hand movements. This continued on the boda-boda until she completely passed out for the last 20-30 minutes to camp. And in case you ever need to know, it’s very hard to hold a sleeping child AND hold on to a boda-boda. I would not recommend it.



These kids all have never-ending smiles. Barbara is always up to something funny; so much so that everyone calls her “crazy Barbara.” Paloya Mercy is just awesome and was one of the first to initiate hugging with me, so she has a special place in my heart. Kwo-tek means “life is hard,” but ECM staff (mainly Chrissy) changed his name to Kwo-be, which means “life is good.” He smiles when you call him that!



Lamwaka Patricia – my parents are her sponsor. She spent a good part of the day singing “Jesus Loves Me” in English and Acholi. Her outfit today was pajama pants, her little sister’s new shirt (size 3T – WAY too small), and new panties that she showed me multiple times!



Okema – how I love this kid. He’s the one that’s been learning the alphabet. He’s a handful, but so stinkin’ cute!



Let’s just keep it real – this is the common reaction when I approach babies here…sheer terror. This is Procy. I see her every single day and she still screams like this most days. However, I have held her on more than one occasion with no tears…go figure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ash, I love seeing all the children's picture - priceless. I love you!