Saturday, February 27, 2010

Welcome to My Gulu Home

After over a month, I finally got my shelves and finally got to unpack! I am very excited to feel a bit more moved in and to have some space to walk, rather than having four suitcases opened on the floor. So, here is the house:



The view from the front porch. Thanks to rainy season, the grass is now green! Please note the empty driveway. The van is gone because it is hopefully being sold.



The living room. I know it’s cluttered, but Chrissy got two Christmas boxes yesterday (yes, it takes that long to get here!) and I, in the process of unpacking, put a bunch of supplies all over the house. But, these are the African chairs we ordered for about $1.50 each. They’re surprisingly comfortable! Please note the lantern on the back table. I bought that in Kampala and not only is it very useful when the power is out, but it also makes me feel like I’m living out of the books “Little House on the Prairie” – always a plus!



The kitchen. It’s very small, but I’m so thankful for a gas range (on left) with two eyes and the new shelves that now hold all of our dishes, including the real glass dishes AND coffee press we bought in Kampala!



My room. There are no closets here, so the shelves and my suitcases serve as a replacement. So far it has worked out quite nicely!



My decorations. Definitely a last-minute addition to my bags as I was leaving, but I’m really thankful to have pictures from home! I’m going to add the letters of encouragement that I was given before I left.

So, that is the basic tour of the house. Not pictured: Chrissy’s room, bathroom, two spare bedrooms, and garage (which is for storage only).

We’re in Kampala for the weekend, hopefully finding a car that we can purchase as a replacement. The car has gotten bad enough that it’s taking away from ministry, as we seriously broke down or blew a tire almost every day this week. Not only is that incredibly frustrating, but it just sucks up SO much of our time and money!

1 comment:

SDG said...

LOVE seeing pictures! But where is Chrissy?