Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Packing (the fun part of it)

An important update: my trip has been pushed back two days due to a couple of minor details. I'm actually really thankful because there's still so much to do! I will now be leaving January 20th at about 5. First stop: London, second stop: Entebbe, Uganda. I should be in Gulu somewhere between the 22nd and the 24th, depending on how long we spend in Kampala (the capital of Uganda) before paying $5 each to ride a bus 6 hours north to Gulu. By "we" I am referring to whoever from "Team Gulu" picks me up and myself.

Other than that, this post really doesn't serve any great purpose other than sharing some of the fun stuff I've gotten (or been given) in preparation for Africa. At this point, I have most of what I need. The only thing lacking is bugspray. I can take three 50-pound bags and am going to pay to take a fourth. Bags three and four are clothes, shoes, balls, books, etc. for the kids: solely ministry-related supplies.
My mom found this really awesome bar soap and shampoo. The soap is citronella soap and is meant to deter the mosquitoes and other bugs. While I'll be smelling like a walking candle for the entire time I'm there, I suppose it's worth it if I don't get malaria! :-) The bar shampoo is a really awesome idea - don't know if it works well, but it saves me a couple pounds in packing, which is really valuable when trying to pack for an extended time.
This nifty gadget is really exciting! All you do is put this in water and the UV light kills all the bacteria, meaning I can drink the tap water after this 60-second treatment. It's highly effective and super convenient.

Sunscreen. Lots of it. I've never worn SPF this high, but I've also never lived in Africa.

Amelia, here's a picture of the colorful skirts - just for you!

Grandma shoes - when you walk everywhere, totally necessary. These are seriously some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. They have excellent support, will dry very quickly, are very breathable, and have velcro - how can you go wrong with velcro??

When you wear velcro shoes and Chacos, live half the time without electricity, and kill your own chickens for dinner, girly polka-dot shoes are necessary. Because cute heals aren't an option.

Without TV, Internet, or consistent electricity, my book-reading time will most definitely increase (assuming that the times without electricity are accompanied by a lantern or candle). I'm really looking forward to all of these. I've never read anything by Elmer or Thrasher, but they both came highly recommended.
My family knows me well. Plus Katie Davis has one too, so I feel way cool!


Dakota doesn't actually get to come with me, but I wanted to include her just because she's way cute. She does cool tricks like brings in the paper; gives high-fives, "pounds," and shakes; and places the ball into your hand rather than at your feet if you say "I can't reach it!" I'll have a dog in Gulu too, but there's no way he'll compare!

That's all I have for now, but I continue to feel your prayers! The Lord's provision on this trip has been overwhelming. I'm amazed daily by His undeserved grace.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Thank you for posting a pic of your long skirts! Very fun! I am curious to hear how the bar shampoo goes. And even if they're flats, your polka dot shoes are really cute! I understand the necessity of the grandma shoes, but I'm glad you'll at least have something to counteract that. :)