Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Russia??


As many of you know, I've been praying since last May about a call to go oversees and work with orphans. I feel like I finally have the go-ahead to pursue options in Russia!!

Yesterday I submitted an application to be an English teacher in Russia. Then I promptly started freaking out about how far away Russia is, how I don't speak Russian, how I don't know anybody in Russia, how I'm definitely not brave enough to move to Russia, how...then my kind roommate reminded me that Jesus is in Russia too. Good thing to remember!

Sooo, my "plan" is tentatively to go to Russia as an English teacher in August if that is possible AND partner with an orphan-care organization there and work with orphans on the nights, weekends, schools breaks, etc. I think this will give me a really unique opportunity to form relationships with a lot of different groups of people while still keeping my main focus on orphan-care. The problem that I had run into with wanting to do full-time care is that I do not speak Russian yet, which would make it impossible to do something full-time with children who are very much Russian speakers!

Ideally, I would stay next summer (2010) and work at a camp for orphans before coming home late next summer. I know they have numerous options for this, but I have no idea what they are yet. So many details to work out, but right now I'm focusing on a job and a avenue for orphan-care work!! If anyone knows of anything, please let me know.

I'm sure you can imagine that this is extremely overwhelming, so I would really appreciate your prayers. There is a LOT to do before this is possible! I'm super excited about this adventure and I'll keep you updated with any progress I'm making.

No comments: