Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Watching History be Made...


Yesterday our nation elected a new president. Number 44. Senator (soon-to-be President) Barack Obama made history last night when he became the first black man to ever be elected to that office. What do I think about it??? Well, that answer is quite complex. Am I happy that he won? Hmmm...I'll have to go with no comment on that one. Are there things to celebrate? Absolutely. Here are a few things I am happy about:

1. I am blessed to live in a country where every person has the right to vote (well, pretty much everyone, barring felons).

2. I am excited that our country has stepped passed the days of the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s into a time where we can look pass race and elect a black man to serve as president (and how cool that we get to watch this history unfold!!). It is my prayer that my future children will look back and wonder why this election was such a big deal.

3. I am grateful that Senator McCain made a valiant attempt to unite our country after what has been a bitter and divisive campaign. In his words:

"I wish Godspeed to the man who was my former opponent and will be my president. And I call on all Americans, as I have often in this campaign, to not despair of our present difficulties, but to believe, always, in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here. Americans never quit. We never surrender. We never hide from history. We make history."

4. I am humbled that men and women have given their lives so that we, as Americans, can have the freedom to live in a nation where we can say what we agree with and disagree with, we can challenge our president (hopefully with great respect) to responsibly lead our nation, and we can live free from fear.

5. I am thankful that this loooong election is over.


I am so fortunate to live in a country that is free. A country where we can be free to celebrate our differences.


And I am so grateful to serve a God who is sovereign and who will alway be there and who will never change.


I will be praying hard for Senators Obama and Biden as we make our way toward January 20th.


I will be praying for our nation, that we lay aside our differences and unite ourselves behind the man who will be running our country in just a few short months.

No comments: