Monday, June 20, 2011

Settling in

I've been at my job for over a month now and I've gotten to the point where I actually feel like I know what I'm doing.  A definite plus!  The job is a bit different than what I was expecting, but mostly in good ways.  The range of things I do is huge.  A sample: refinance property (what???), grocery shop, change homeowner's/car insurance, pick up dry-cleaning, register a non-profit as a 501(c)3...

So I'm never bored and I'm daily having to do research to know what in the world I'm talking about.  I literally knew nothing about mortgages, car insurance, homeowners insurance, non-profits, or even reconciling accounts before I started this job.  Sometimes I feel like I still don't know anything, but I'm learning. And go0gle is a wonderful thing! :)

The family is wonderful.  They are very kind and respectful and I have enjoyed working in their home.  Today, my boss brought me ice cream in exchange for staying a few minutes late to chat about a few things. Obviously she's learning my weaknesses...

In other news, I spent a fun weekend in New Orleans for my cousin's wedding two weeks ago.  It was great to see everyone and we had a fun time!  It was the first time in a very long time that the whole extended family (minus one) was all together, so it was a great opportunity to catch up.

Life in D.C. continues to be a big adventure.  I am LOVING my church.  It is filled with people who are seeking after the Lord and I have been stretched and challenged immensely.  I am so, so thankful.  I've had the opportunity to meet lots of new friends and there have been some great opportunities to serve as well.

There's more to share, but it will have to wait until later.  And maybe eventually I'll post a picture of something cool...

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I should really check your blog more often! Glad your job is going well (or at least it was last month!) Will try to catch you tomorrow to wish you a Happy Birthday!!