Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Little More About LIfe in Gulu

Today is going to be full of random facts/thoughts/stories, hope you enjoy : D

-It is rainy season here, and you can definitely tell! We have a tin roof, and when it starts to pour I’m still not entirely accustomed to the noise. It is very loud.

-The other night, Ashley and I took a boda-boda home in the rain and dark. I laughed for almost half the way, going through dirt roads after it has been pouring is hilarious.

-Many of the people here add please to the end of statements: Example: Me: Do you like to drive? Him: Yes please.

-Small children can carry jerry cans (containers that hold 20 liters of water) on their head for miles. I can’t even lift a full one of those onto my head to begin with.

-Because we are white, we stick out here. As we pass, people literally yell “white person” at us in Acholi (munu or mzungu). Also, seemingly for the same reason, it is not too uncommon for children to lick my skin and then run away laughing.

-I have had either an Acholi version of “Jesus Loves Me” or a clapping game song stuck in my head for possibly the majority of the day.

-My bedtime probably averages around 11:00 here (for those of you who know me well, yes, this still kind of shocks me also).

-The common response to “How are you?” is “I am fine”, which is basically the equivalent to “I’m good” in America.

-Children here will be taught the above phrase and not always know what it means, resulting in kids sometimes running up saying “How are you? I am fine. How are you? I am fine.” in an adorable accent that makes me laugh every time.

-The World Cup is in South Africa, on the same continent I am currently residing, and begins in less than a month!

-Our neighborhood kids call Ashley “Annas” (a name actually in the Bible), we’re not sure why. If they forget our names they just yell “Munu!”

-The light switches are oftentimes the opposite way as ours (down is on), but not always, again we don’t exactly know the reason for this.

-Because of the culture and environment, I am almost constantly in skirts or dresses down to my ankles. If anything goes even close to as high as my knees, I feel totally inappropriate. I’m already thinking readjusting to shorts should be pretty funny!

-And lastly: Our neighbor has a pet monkey, that sits outside attached to a rope : )

No comments: