Monday, May 24, 2010

Some E-mails Home

These are e-mails Laura and I sent to our parents the day we got to Gulu. They both thought you all would enjoy reading them as well, so I am posting it here. Sometimes I don't know what's interesting or useful information, but they informed us that these would be good for the blog. So here they are. (Andrew is the intern we picked up at the airport.) Thanks for the suggestion, Mom and Dad!

***

I think Laura had an "oh wow!" moment when she saw my house. And the the lizards. And the spiders. And heard the bats in the attic that also call this place home. Nevertheless, she's adjusting really well and enjoying everything so far. Today will be her first day in the village and my first day back in a long time. I can't wait!!

The bus ride truly was great. I did my best to educate both Laura and Andrew on all I know about Uganda, its history, culture, etc. and they got to see a lot of the country, which was really nice. It is funny to watch them see things that I don't even notice anymore - like chickens and cows roaming the side of the road, women carrying babies on their backs and fruit or water on their heads, or a bunch of people piled into one vehicle!

Laura is feeling great! It was definitely a really nice thing that we stayed in Kampala a couple extra days. It let her adjust and we had a good time too. I was really glad to see Christine and I know Laura really enjoyed meeting her as well. Plus, I love Sheila that works at MAF so it was really nice to spend time with her as well.

Andrew got in a little after 8 on Thursday night. He had time to eat dinner, sleep a few hours, and then get up early to experience Kampala traffic and a 6 hour bus ride. He did great though! Didn't even seem tired! I think we freaked him out a bit - we greeted him with a sign that said Go Vols! and Gig 'em Aggies! all over it. He goes to Baylor. He's a nice guy though and we enjoyed talking to him.


***

Ash and I had a pretty eventful day and are taking our showers now (she just got out; the shower is soo cold, I have to slowly move myself into it, last night I still lost my breath). I met many of the sponsor kids today when we went to the village. They are very welcoming and clapped for me with this clap to a beat and sang a song for me. It was very sweet and thoughtful.

Then I ate in a hut, that was very different but it was pretty cool inside (temperature wise). The "Mamma" also had spoons for us to eat with which was cool for my first time! Slowly adjusting! Many of the people laugh at me a lot because mostly I just smile and say "ok" when interacting with them. Ash says they still do that for her; I would just laugh with them very confused. The children play hand clapping games though so that is nice. They are different than the ones I know but not too much. I feel like that can connect us some!

We also got the car stuck in the mud/small stream on the way there. I opened my door to put the car in four-wheel drive and the tire was over halfway in water. So today I touched my first natural African water with my hands and feet, but not too much. Many people were helpful though, and we got it out after a while of trying and a broken rope. Tonight we ate with Becky and the 4 Forester girls. They are adorable, they now have two headgehogs as their pets that they caught in their yard. I have to say, the things are stinkin' cute! Conner,you could get one..

No comments: