Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Rest of the Trip

Monday morning we had a fabulous breakfast that included real bacon and coffee then headed to Murchison Falls. Once again, I didn’t really know what to expect, but I was not disappointed. Murchison wasn’t like any waterfall I’ve ever seen, but was more like a vertical rapids. The river narrows substantially and all the water is pressed through a pretty narrow opening in the rocks. A hundred yards before and after the falls is totally calm and serene water. Very impressive. Once again, we all spent a long time just soaking it all in.

We headed back to the park on the hunt for giraffes and lions. We found giraffes pretty quickly and they are undoubtedly my new favorite animal. They are WAY taller in the wild than in the zoo and they are just graceful. How an animal with probably 10-foot long legs can look graceful when walking or running I don’t know, but they are beautiful creatures. At one point we were sitting in the middle of a herd of about 20, which included several babies. They just stared at us and continued eating.

We never found lions, but did not leave disappointed. We did see footprints, which was at least proof that they were somewhere near!

On the way home, we got to admire the brilliant African stars and watch a lightning storm roll across the land.

Overall it was a wonderful weekend spent soaking in God’s creation.



Murchison Falls. This doesn't do it justice, but I couldn't get an angle that captured the entire thing.



Once again, Murchison. Can I just say that it is incredibly difficult to hike in a skirt? Many times on our trek I wished for shorts and a t-shirt!






Giraffes are WAY cool. This was when we were sitting in the middle of a herd.



The sunset. It didnt' have a lot of color, but was no less brilliant. The DR Congo is once again behind the mountains.

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.” – Psalm 19:1-2

O Lord, how manifold are your works! In wisdom have you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures…May the glory of the Lord endure forever; may the Lord rejoice in his works, who looks on the earth and it trembles, who touches the mountains and they smoke! I will sing to the Lord as long as I live; I will song praises to my god while I have being.” – Psalm 104:24, 31-33

1 comment:

nattandmatt.blogspot.com said...

Love the pic of you! Glad you guys are safe afterwards! Soo cool about all the animals/safari! Glad you got some pork :)