Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Life in Gulu

I know I've only been here less than a week, but I seriously feel like I'm already settling in to life in Gulu. So far, I really have loved it!

Today was a Ugandan holiday, so we didn't work, but instead Chrissy (my roommate) showed me around Gulu. We walked through the market, bought a fan (yes, yes, yes!!), and had breakfast with another American missionary I met through someone at Fellowship. It was a really nice holiday and really helped me get to know Gulu a little bit more.

Also, can I just say that when you don't fully understand the culture or language, visiting with other Christian Americans is a HUGE blessing? I can't remember if I already wrote this in my previous post, but in the airport in Entebbbe, I met another missionary family from Waco, Texas. These are not the same people I met with today, but it's very comforting to network with other Americans when you're so far from home!

I went into the IDP camp, Tegot, yesterday and was completely overwhelmed by the state of life there. It is a village of mud huts and I was not prepared for the level of poverty I saw. The distended bellies of the children was the thing that bothered me the most. It's amazing to me that in spite of the conditions in which they live, most still have joy.

The cool thing about that joy is that it supposedly wasn't there two years ago. ECM adopted this camp and focuses on holistic ministry. This truly has given the people hope. They were SO excited we were there and you really can see hope in their eyes. I pray that they come to truly know and understand that Christ is where they should place their hope and trust!

Some things I've learned:
  • If you smile really big and shake an Acholi's hand, they will like you immediately.
  • You can con small children into touching you if you extend your hand for them to shake it. They're culturally compelled to oblige. Side note: This does not work on children under 2. They run away screaming, terrified of mzungus (white people).
  • Cold Coke is pretty much the best thing you will ever taste when in a foreign country. However, Chrissy showed me a place with ice cream and yogurt, so those will be high on the list as well.
  • Laughter crosses all language barriers.
  • Africa makes you very, very dirty. I have been covered in dust and dirt since I've gotten here. The bright of that is I look several shades tanner just by walking down the road.

That's all I have for now. Thanks for the continued encouragement!

5 comments:

SDG said...

Hey Ash,
I firmly believe in the power of prayer and know that God never leaves you hanging! You are exactly where you were meant to be and I can only imagine the humble peacefullness and stillness of your interior fulfillment! Know that we pray for you everyday!
Love you ~Aunt Mary

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Covered in dust. Hmm, how ironic that your willingness to be covered in the dust of Christ has now led you to be covered in Gulu dust. And we are but dust -- clay pots to be exact that hold a Treasure. So inside and out you are covered. May everyone you meet see your Treasure, and may your Dust rub off on all those you touch.
(2Cor.4:6&7) So amazed at all the Lord is doing in and through you.
Love, Aunt Kathy

HandsomeFrackle said...

Man, if Africa makes you tanner, I am THERE! ;)