Thursday, June 4, 2009

JustLead, Nashville, Young Life, & More.

I honestly never thought I could be so worn out! I am LOVING my internship at JustLead, but I have been working 10-12 hour days and it is wearing me out! We have kids there 3 days a week, and on those same 3 days I have swim practice. Surprisingly, swimming has turned out to be one of my favorite parts of the job. It's a very different dynamic with the kids, but I have successfully taught 3 kids how to swim! Swimming was actually a requirement to be on the team, but we let it slide for 3 kids, so I have swim lessons while the head coach has practice. My 3 are now on to basic freestyle stroke. They have the arms down well and we are working hard on breathing. Any suggestions on teaching a kids to breathe to the side? They revert to the tried-and-true doggy-paddle each time they need to take a breath.

Suprisingly, a lot of people I know are or have been heavily involved in swimming competitively. I've recruited several of them to come out and help with practice, and that has made a huge difference in our kids' abilities. I so appreciate their willingness to give up their time to come and work with these kids.

First meet is next Thursday. I'm just hoping that every kid can finish their races without being disqualified. We'll be competing against kids who are very well coached and have been swimming for a long time, so it will definitely be a challenge, but I have confidence in our kids!

Last weekend I went to Nashville with some friends for a Hillsong United concert. We left Saturday morning after a great breakfast and drove to my Great-Aunt Jene's house. We had lunch with her then went to the mall and REI before heading to the concert. The tickets we bought were general admission, so we got there pretty early to get a good place on the floor. We ended up being about 5 rows from the stage and had a great view of the concert. It was 3 hours long and we stood the whole time, so I was exhausted by the end, but it was well worth it. Everything about the concert was really great! Here's Anne and I waiting to go on. We got to sit inside for the first hour of waiting and then we stood outside for the next hour.


The weekend before, I spent 4 days at Sharp Top Cove in Jasper, Georgia, serving our high school students who were at camp. It was great fun, but extremely hard work. My muscles ached every night and I definitely have a new respect for servers at restaurants! I got to spend great time with other people from Fellowship's college ministry and we shared a lot of laughter over the course of the weekend. Monday morning we got up at 5:00 and went on a hike to the top of a mountain. The trail was straight up and we were exhausted and starving by the time we got to the top, but the view of the canyon was well worth the pain! I didn't get a picture of it, but it was gorgeous!

Going hiking again this weekend and hoping to catch up on sleep. I'll try to get better about putting pictures up with my posts.

No comments: