Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mexico...6 days!

Thank you so much for your prayers, support, and advice about my trip to Mexico. This has been a really stressful couple of weeks trying to decide what to do, but the Lord's provision and mercy on the situation has been so awesome! I just wanted to share a few things that have happened in the last few weeks...

First, I spent a lot of time praying about whether I should go. I finally felt a peace about two things: 1. That I should honor my parent's wishes on the subject. If they asked me not to go, I had decided not to go. I very much felt led to make this commitment. 2. That if, at any point before leaving on the trip, I felt uneasy about anything the church was or was not doing regarding safety, that I would not go. However, I was going to reassess the situation after our final meeting (which was today).

I prayed intently, talked to several people not involved in the trip or the church, and did extensive research on the violence in Mexico. Our last meeting was this morning after church, and if you had asked me even last night if I felt like the church was doing all that it needed to do to help with safety, I would have said no. This was mainly because they weren't sending any information about what they were doing. I (wrongly) interpreted this to mean that they were not doing anything. Going into the meeting, I had several things that I had established as "must-haves" for them to address in order for me to feel that they were taking appropriate steps toward safety. They were: 1. Already contacted the US Consulate in Tijuana and registered our trip. 2. Canceled the plan to go to the mercados in Rosarito on the final day. 3. Give instructions on what to do in case of emergencies while we are there.

Honestly, I didn't think this was all going to happen and I didn't really believe that I would be going on the trip. BUT...they addressed all of these things and more!! I was totally blown away and THRILLED that all of my concerns had been fulfilled above and beyond what I had prayed for!! Going into the meeting, I had prayed that I would have either an undoubted peace about the situation or a definite feeling that I should not go. Peace was granted!!!

I talked to my parents about it, and while they're a little nervous, they are also supportive. They were very happy with how the church handled the situation.

So...I will be going to Mexico on Saturday!! I am really excited and just blown away at how this has come together above and beyond what I could have asked or imagined. I am still a bit nervous, but I very much have a peace about the situation and can't wait to leave!!

Sorry this was such a long story...I am pretty amazed with the whole thing, if you can't tell :-)

Please continue to pray for safety for our team while we're in Mexico, for continued peace about the situation, and that we can really be Christ to the people we will be serving in Tijuana.

No comments: